Synthetic Oils

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 04 1997 - 07:34:17 EST

May have already been around the shop but I don't recall. What are the
expieriences and thoughts on Synthetic oils vs regular oils? In particular
Castrol Syntec? I have used Castrol GTX for many moons and have been very
pleased with it. However I recently read in one of the Mags where a guy with
a 5.0 Mustang wrote with a question about oil and the reply was to get 1000
miles or so on the vehicle then go to a totally synthetic oil and went on to
explain why. I am just looking for peak performance with reliability..

I started using Castrol in the early 70's when I used to work for a Suzuki
Motorcycle and Artic cat Snomobiles. Suzuki came out with a little TM 125
motocross bike that was cheap and went like hell, everyone had to have one
for dirt riding but the darn things kept taking the cranks out of them.
Suzuki Tech support found that the oils were not adequate and took something
like 50 engines, made test benches, used a different oil in each and wired
them wide open until the blew up documenting the results and them came out
with oil recomendations. One of the techs was our Tech and he was telling
about it. All motors blew up but the one with Castrol, they shut it off. We
also stumbled on to some vast differences in performance with different oils
and did some research Castrol always came out with top marks. We did find
though that the Castrol Snowmobile oil was a super runner but if you left it
sit for any length of time without running it that the oil would dry off and
the engine would rust and sieze up. Not so with the 4 stroke oils.

Any comments?

Bill