Fan Noise

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 09:47:23 EST

> give it about 1/4 throttle, and
> the noise just goes away in about 5 to 6 seconds

> Hey, does your truck seem kinda sluggish while it's making
> that horrendous sound? Mine does too.

  This description fits the good old "Viscous Fan Drive stuck in
warm mode for a brief period after startup" FAQ. There's even a
TSB or two to cover it, not to mention a blurb in my '95 shop
manual.

  The concensus is: the noise is normal, and as long as the fluid
in your fan drive gets redistributed after running for a brief period
(goes back to cold mode), you have no problem.

  If the noise REALLY bugs you, look for an electric fan.

  Ron