Re: Tune ups

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 09:56:07 EST

> I have a 1995 3.9l V6 with 25000 miles. And lately I've been hearing
> the valves more often. Since I use premium (92 octane) gas I can only
> assume that I need a tune-up. Is this assumption correct?

  I don't know how a "tune-up" will affect valvetrain noise. What
do you mean by "tune-up?" Maintenance is somewhat different on
the computer-controlled, electronic ignition, fuel injected engines
than it was with carbs, chokes, points and condensers. Basically,
there's a whole lot less to mess with as far as preventive
maintenance is concerned.

  Your comment about 92 octane fuel means that the truck isn't pinging,
right? Maybe the noise you're hearing is just injector chatter?

  Changing your oil regularly (see owner's manual for type and
mileage interval) is the best thing you can do to prevent valvetrain
damage.

> Since the
> service manual does not mention tune-ups, I thought I ask here How often
> are they recommended?

  See the owner's manual for all time & mileage intervals recommended
by Dodge. We aren't going to be able to add too much other than
opinion and conjecture.

  Ron