Re: 2" exhaust system?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 1997 - 10:06:24 EST

> One pipes are made for garbage trucks, greyhounds and
> snowblowers not performance vehicles and not for good looking vehicles....
> Dual Exhaust are Cooooool.....

  Yes, they are cool. But exhaust system design isn't quite as
simple as "one pipe == cheaper, two pipes == performance." The
key is to tune the exhaust system resonance to suit the particular
application. This is not a trivial task on a street vehicle, even
a performance street machine. Come to think of it, it's not trivial
at all.

  Case in point: I've heard of one class of dirt track racing in
Australia where they tune the entire vehicle to one RPM (i.e.
Wide Open Throttle). Because the application was fairly narrow,
they found that it was actually easier to get more performance
out of a single exhaust system. I think it had something to do
with tuning the pulses to help scavenge exhaust gasses from the
cylinders (negative backpressure during exhaust stroke?).

  But on the street and in most racing classes, you've got to
do different things at different times (heavy throttle vs. light
throttle, etc.), so we try to do what we can by decreasing
backpressure through duals and bigger pipes.

  I guess my main point is that just tacking on dual pipes can have
unintended, maybe even negative performance impacts.

  Ron