Re: K&N bad?

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 1997 - 16:13:06 EST

Karl Kromer wrote:

> Has anyone else seen the post some guy has put up on rec.autos.tech?
> He claims to have worked in the construction industry, where they go
> through a lot of paper air filters. According to the post, they tried using
> K&N's for a while and all the machines suffered a significant increase in
> the silicon content of analyzed oil (indicating more dirt). He went on to
> say that after they switched back to paper the problem went away. He kept
> the K&N in his own company vehicle, and it gave out at 80k miles needing a
> head job.
>
> Now when I was working as a motorcycle mechanic, we used K&N's without any
> problems, though they were all on street or roadrace bikes. I've got the
> FIPK kit on my '96 3.9l, and while the outside of the filter is dirty, the
> inside is clean, as well as the throttle body.
>
> Has anyone heard any other bad stories, or is this guy just posting spam?
>
> -Karl

What he says is basically true. The paper elements do stop dirt better
than the K&Ns. However, they also flow a bunch less air. If you drive
your truck in extremely dusty conditions, I would use a good paper
element. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I have used K&Ns for years in
all my vehicles here in texas with no engine wear problems.

Andre