K&N bad?

From: Karl Kromer (karlk@ssl.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 10 1997 - 15:38:54 EST

Has anyone else seen the post some guy has put up on rec.autos.tech?
He claims to have worked in the construction industry, where they go
through a lot of paper air filters. According to the post, they tried using
K&N's for a while and all the machines suffered a significant increase in
the silicon content of analyzed oil (indicating more dirt). He went on to
say that after they switched back to paper the problem went away. He kept
the K&N in his own company vehicle, and it gave out at 80k miles needing a
head job.

Now when I was working as a motorcycle mechanic, we used K&N's without any
problems, though they were all on street or roadrace bikes. I've got the
FIPK kit on my '96 3.9l, and while the outside of the filter is dirty, the
inside is clean, as well as the throttle body.

Has anyone heard any other bad stories, or is this guy just posting spam?

-Karl