(no subject)

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 10 1997 - 12:17:17 EST

  This is actually a message to test the undeliverable addresses,
but its also something I meant to tell everyone... Its mentioned
in the "subscribe" info I sent, but I'd like to call attention to it,
in case someone didn't read it. :)

   This mailing list software, unlike the previous software, actually
parses posts to the list as well as administrative requests. This allows
me to add whatever headers I want, (such as X-ListInfo and X-UnsubscribeInfo)
to every message, and it can also reject messages that are too big. I
currently have the size limit set at 100K. That will allow messages
of approximately 2200 lines in length. This should help out those of you
who's mailboxes really get screwed up when it gets full.

  Anyway, the software also parses the message to try to weed out
list manager requests. (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc) This can
potentially create a problem. As far as I can figure out, there are
certain words that it looks for at the beginning of the subject line
and at the beginning of the first line of the message. These words are:

   subscribe, unsubscribe, digest, leave, join, help, dir, get, and put.

  This'll help to keep the "unsubscribe" messages from flooding the list
(I'm sure you all remember the "jadeinc.com" thing.) ;) This is a good
thing, but unfortunately it isn't too bright. I don't think it checks
the size of the message or anything. So, a message with a subject of
"help me find my fuel filter!" would be rejected because the list manager
thinks the user is asking for the list's help file. Also "Subscribe to
Mopar Muscle!" would be rejected as a subscribe request. The worst part is
that you're message won't be returned to you, its just sort of lost. :P
I'm going to try to look for a way to have the message sent back to the
poster, or at least forwarded to me, but I don't have very high hopes.

  So, be careful about what you put in the subject and in the first line
of the message body.

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
       - Unless otherwise stated, these opinions and views are my own. -