New life for an Old Dakota

From: rdab@snet.net
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 00:28:16 EST

I'm in the process of refurbishing an older Dakota. It's a 87 long bed 4x4 SE, 3.9L
(carbureted), A998 auto, stock execpt for a small lift, 31-10.50's and an interior
salvaged from a 92 LeBaron. This truck has been really reliable for 9 years & 115K
miles but lately it's become a real PIA because of drivability problems:

        - part throttle surging, lack of power (not that it ever had much)
        - miserable mpg (10), stalls in wet weather

Despite running like crap, it still passed CT emission test. (go figure)

Recent work includes complete ignition service (everything was replaced), new fuel pump,
filters, EGR, carb gaskets, vac hoses, etc..........

2 different Dodge dealers and one independent have been no help. They "fix" it by
setting the timing and sending it back w/same problems.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm also looking for info on performance mods for the early 3.9.
 Is it worth it? How about a swap for a later Magnum motor? Anybody done it?

Ive got about 22,000 ($) good reasons to keep this truck.