Re: New life for an Old Dakota

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 08:02:50 EST

Your truck sounds just like mine. So far it has run very well for me
too. Your problems:

> - part throttle surging, lack of power (not that it ever had much)
> - miserable mpg (10), stalls in wet weather

Verify that the idle is set correctly. It is *not* set by the
stop screws on the butterfly lever. I'm not sure why those
screws are even there. I know that one is used for the fast idle, but
the others...who knows. You must set the idle using the small screw at
the end of the idle solenoid. My truck was set using the stop screws
when I got it, and it would surge at low throttle. You can still get
the factory shop manual for it. If you want to keep the motor, you
should definately invest in the manual. (Yes I have it if you need
info)

My truck also stalls when the motor is cold on cold damp mornings. I suspect
that the carb is just too lean. I've gotten pretty good at dropping
the tranny into neutral and hitting the starter when this happens :-)

> Despite running like crap, it still passed CT emission test. (go figure)
> Recent work includes complete ignition service (everything was replaced),
> new fuel pump, filters, EGR, carb gaskets, vac hoses, etc..........

The good news is that your catalytic converter must be good. Have
you changed the oxygen sensor?

> I'm also looking for info on performance mods for the early 3.9.
> Is it worth it? How about a swap for a later Magnum motor? Anybody done it?

I think that there are headers available, and you could put on a dual
exhaust. Let us know if you make any mods. There aren't too many
owners of early Daks, but we are here. Using a newer motor would be
a big project. You would need the computer for the new motor and
God knows how much of the emission equipment to make it run right.
I suspect that it would take about 3 solid weekends from the time that
you pull the old motor until the new one is running. That's a long
time to be without the truck.

> Ive got about 22,000 ($) good reasons to keep this truck.

I hear ya.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4

--