Re: New life for an Old Dakota -Reply -Reply

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 00:03:28 EST

** High Priority **

No, you've got the A-518 which is basically a Torqueflite with an
overdrive unit on it, but I don't think it is built as strong as the
old TF's (not for sure. . .just what I've heard from some folks). If
I ever do go to one of the crate motors I KNOW that is what I'll be
dropping behind it. The only problem then will be that the rearend
and the rest of the drivetrain will HAVE to be changed. I've got the
8 1/4" posi rear right now, but I don't figure it would handle the
abuse of 4,000 rpm off-the-line smashing and 400 ft/lbs of torque
that an 8 3/4" unit would handle.

>>> <DesignTech@worldnet.att.net> 2/11/97, 11:01pm >>>
I have a '93 like yourself V8 4X2 sure slip. Do i have a
Torqueflight?
i heard from everyone that they were the best trannys out there

> > first mopar so as for what trans and rearend would live
behind one
> > of these motors i'll leave to someone else on the 'list'.
any
> > suggestions anyone?
>
> Some guy on this list had a Dak that he had replaced the rearend
with an
> 8 3/4" unit from a 70 or 71 Duster (I think). I also think he said
it
was 2
> inches shorter than the 8 1/4" axle housing, so he was able to put
wider
> tires in the wheelwells due to the increased room. I can't
remember who
> it was though that had done it. I think it was the guy who claimed
the 3
> second drop from stock with JUST the valvesprings.. . .plus a few
extra
> "goodies". An 8 3/4" unit would hold up to one of these motors you
> referenced (300hp, 380 hp 360 c.i.) just fine (they were used
behind
> hemi automatics. . .Danas were used behind the hemi sticks). Also,
as
> far as a transmission goes, I would go with an old torqueflite.
The
things
> are bulletproof, and since you'd be getting rid of the goofy lockup
torque
> convertor on the A-518, you'd have a NICE selection of convertors
> choose from. I think it would be nice to powerbrake the motor to
about
> 4,000 then let off the brake instead of the 2,200 I can get now
(which is
> right at the motor's torque "flat-spot"). I imagine it would leave
HARD
if
> you can control the wheelspin. Also, with the crate
360/torqueflite