speedo calibration

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 1997 - 05:34:16 EST

Just a quick question. If the tire diameter increases or decreases over
stock, what happens to the speedometer readings. I thought that as
vehicle speed increased the speedometer difference would increase also.
Like real speed is 30, speedo says 33 then real speed is 70, speedo says
76. Does this sound right or does the difference remain the same
regardless of what speed your going, like reading 5mph more than the
real speed?

The reason I ask is that my Dak reads 5mph more than the real speed.
Checked it with a police radar that had been calibrated that same day.
It was a while back, but if I remember correctly, from 30 up to 75 the
radar was always exactly 5 less than my speedo. Didn't check any higher
than 75 and I forgot what it did less than 30.

Any ideas? My Dak has 255/60's which were installed at the factory (Mk
III) Could the tires cause the difference?

Oh yeah, it was a hand held radar I used. This was a lot of fun with
radar detectors. Remote control tailights...

--
-
Michael Clark        mike@snakebite.com