Re: Exhaust stuff

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 1997 - 12:36:54 EST

Kukukooter@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-02-15 10:49:32 EST, samp@cts.com (Sam Parthemer)
> writes:
>
> << should I
> try a anti-seize spray on the exhaust parts??? >>
> Of course you have probably already started by the time this gets thru, heh,
> heh
> Kuk

        Well, I took the truck to a friend of mine (a true auto-extrordeneir?)
as he COMPLETELY restores British cars... He just did a Bentley that
won (2)
best OF awards at the same show (No one has ever done that before)...

        He had the exhaust manifolds off the truck in 30 minutes, no problem.
Mean while I had my hands full getting the Y-pipe out of the section
that runs
back to the CAT. It took me 2 hours to remove the darn thing!!! The
folks
at Dodge thought it would be nice to CRIMP the pipe in the middle (by
tighten-
ing the clamp so far that it stripped the clamp, crushed the pipe, then
welded
the clamp bolts on (you could see the spot welds in front of the nuts;
it wasn't
rust either).

        After we cut the clamp off, then we cut the y-pipe, (the O2 sensor was
out
and we cut a hole in the pipe (opposite the O2 sensor hole), and stuck a
pipe
through it (to hit with a soft-faced hammer)... I whacked top and bottom
on that
thing for over an HOUR!! (Arms are sore right now, so my typing might
have a lot
of missstakes :) Eventually it came out.

        From there it was a piece of cake putting everything back together...
About 1.5 hours to get everything in place, then add the high-temp
gasket stuff,
then bolt it up... The truck sounds a bit different (not really louder,
except @
around 3500 rpm it starts to really sing!), and the popping in the
exhaust on
decelleration is gone... just a 'puff' now and then.. I believe now my
exhaust
is complete.

        A PROBLEM came up when I got home... I don't have enough clearance
between
my driver's side header, and the steering knuckle.. It hits on left
turns... How
difficult to loosen the motor mounts, and shift the engine .5-1"???? As
this was
listed as a possibility in the instructions, I imagine that other people
have
encountered this...

        That's all, I post to picture of the engine once I get the
clearance problem fixed!!!

        ..Sam '95 SLT