Re[2]: Ignition Upgrades

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 11:29:01 EST

     The MSD/Crane HI-6/Holley Annihilator/Accel 300+/etc. systems are not
     replacements for the stock ignition systems but an addition too it.
     Think of a supercharger. It doesn't replace your fuel delivery system
     but simply improves how it works. The MSD type ignitions work (and
     this is a stretch for explaination purposes) sort of "supercharge"
     your spark. All but the MSD are computer control type configurations
     and include adjustable "smart" rev limiters that determine the optimum
     order to remove spark from different cylinders (and then firing the
     next revolution) to limit rpms without backfiring or loading the
     cylinders with excess fuel. The MSD is still your basic electronics
     but their products are hard to beat in direct comparisons. The MSD
     would be my pick with a good set of plug wires and ugraded plugs and
     coil. YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE THE COIL!!

     Just a side note: Had a friend whose cousin put the new split-fire
     dual core wires on his '96 Z-71 and kept frying his coil. He finally
     determined that in one wire the two cores had rubbed the insulation
     off the other and was direct shorting back through the ignition (or
     something like that). Stick with a good heavy set of name-brand
     wires. I like the Taylor "409" types. Those huge-ass wires look
     killer!

     Hope this helped.

     sean
     '97 318/5spd/3.55SG