Ignition Upgrades

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 14:32:00 EST

>Okay, back to your original question. . . I wouldn't use the stock
>coil with the MSD. Number one, because of the wiring problems. You
>have to take the signal from the computer (which feeds into the
>coil), run it to the MSD, then run the wires from the MSD back to the
>coil. . .but the problem is that the connector for the stock coil
>isn't just 2 wires held onto posts with screws like a Blaster coil or
>an Accel Supercoil. Also, you'd probably fry the stock coil with the

What kind of performance gains can I expect from just changing the coil
(to a MSD), adding a brass cap & rotor, Magnecor wires, and Autolite
Platinum plugs?? (jules, you listening?)

>MSD if you ever did get it to work. It makes a hotter spark as well
>as multiple sparks per cycle. (Stock you get one spark when the
>piston comes up. . .with an MSD you get multiple sparks so it burns
>more of the gas for better combustion. . .more POWER) I would
>definitely go to a high-output coil if you decided to get an MSD or

This other MSD part is replacing the stock ignition? Is that the correct
terminology?? I thought I was going to help things by buying the parts
listed above, but would I need to actually change the stock ignition as
wel?? Am I making sense here??

>Crane. You'll sink probably $200 into your ignition system if you
>decide to do it, though. You'll need a new cap and rotor (Accel
>FINALLY came out with a cap with brass posts) because the stock pot
>metal things get fried in about 5 months with the high-output
>ignition. Also, you'll probably want some better wires than stock
>because you'll want to take advantage of the new juice. If you do

The ignition parts that I've ordered so far are close to $200.00 with
just the coil, cap&rotor, wires and plugs!! What am I missing?

>decide to do all this, write me back and I'll tell ya some things
>about my installation that were a little tricky if you didn't watch
>for them. Hope this info helps.
>- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd

I'd have replied to you directly, but didn't have your E-mail address...
 But who else cares to jump in here, and give me a basic lesson on
ignition upgrades, etc.??

Ciao!

         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------