Re[2]: Back to the gas question...

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 16:09:03 EST

     I'm also not sure what 'pinging' sounds like exactly. I DO know that
     if you're experiencing a lack of power at the same time then that's
     probably what it is. It's also called detonation or pre-ignition or
     'knock'. The motor has a knock sensor that pulls timing when it
     detects anything that sounds like knock whick protects the motor from
     damage. The problem with the knock sensor is that it sometimes
     translates other noises into a 'knock' reading and pulls timing and
     killing power. Some drag racers disable their knock sensors at the
     track and run high octane fuels to guarantee no ping while the sensor
     is disabled. Am I headed in the right direction with this anyone?

     sean

    I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I'm not exactly sure what
pinging sounds like.
  I'm not sure, but I think it is accompanied by a loss of power. It
sounds very much as if it were in fifth gear and trying to go up a steep
hill... Its not so much what I'd call a "ping", maybe more of a "knock".

  Is that pinging?