Back to the gas question...

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 15:52:00 EST

>1. Following the owner's manual, I usually fill up with 87 octane
>and almost never have problems (as long as the gas is decent quality;
>I've gotten some tanks of pure crap before).

For the first year, I did the same, and got the same results as you (no
problems)

>2. Starting some time in December, I started noticing pronounced
>pinging when I get on the throttle (since it's a 318 Magnum, I tend
>to get on it quite often ;). The pinging starts somewhere around
>2500 RPM in second and/or third. I can sometimes get it to ping
>when applying full throttle on the freeway at 70+MPH as well.

I haven't heard much pinging when running up thru the gears (and winding
'em a tad), but I do notice it a lot on say a 5th-4th downshift @ WOT
while doing 65-70+ mph on the highway... General consensus is the load
on the engine at that mph/rpm is quite high, hence the pinging...

>4. I've been experimenting with gas grades, as well as brands. I
>avoid _almost_ all pinging when filling with 89. I notice some brand
>differences as well, but less pronounced than grade differences.

Same here, the pinging happens much less, if at all with the 89 octane...
 Since I started hearing the pinging, I've give my Dak a strict diet of
89 octane (but I do switch between brands, the main ones I use being
Sunoco, Texaco & Citgo)....

>5. Mileage differences are minimal when switching gas grades, but
>I tend to get 0.5 MPG more when I avoid pinging (stands to reason).

Yep.

>During the non-winter months, I've experimented with 87 vs. 89
>octane, and experienced no appreciable mileage difference. Have not
>tried 93 octane (other than to correct tanks of bad gas; see #1), and
>don't foresee much if any mileage improvement. I might try out a
>couple of tanks of 93 just to satisfy my curiosity.

When I bought my truck, the dealer told me basically to run strictly 87
octane, he said the truck would "develop an appetite for higher octane if
given the chance" which it has seemed to do even without being given the
chance...heck, if gas prices weren't so $%$@# high, I'd be OK with
putting 92+ octane in all the time... I don't think it'd make a huge
difference in mileage figures though...

>a. I believe that the winter-formula gasolines (which increase
>volatility) are the cause of my pinging. True or false?

My underinformed opinion on this would be yes. TRUE.

>b. Has anyone else experienced similar gasoline issues during the
>winter?

Similar, yes...Let's see what the summer brings.... for both prices and
performance...

Ciao!

         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------