Re: FW: Back to the gas question...

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 08:04:58 EST

mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com wrote:

> Does this mean that their is AI (artificial Intelligence) in these
> computers and that they actually learn? I thought that there were engine
> Characteristic PROMS (read that READ ONLY MEMORY) in the SBEC. and, If
> its read only, then how can they adapt to your driving style and
> retain the update for the next time you drive?
>
> I am an Electrical Engineer so you can talk technical to me if you can and
> I would appreciate any input
>
> Sign me, rICK-the temporarily-in-the-dark-Dakota-owner!

Don't know how it works exactly, but it (SBEC) does adjust for things.
I have never noticed it adjusting for changing driving characteristics,
but it did adjust when I installed my K&N FIPK. Performance seemed to
get better bit-by-bit for about a week (as the SBEC figured out the new
air flow). When I power down the SBEC I notice a difference.
Performance is a bit less and acceleration off the line is noticably
diminished. Give it about a week and things are back to normal...

--
-
Michael Clark        mike@snakebite.com