Re: Ignition Upgrades

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 07:53:49 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:

> Can the timing be backed off slightly on a Magnum? I know this would
> kill a little power but would definitly get rid of the ping. Another
> option would be a multi-step retard unit like MSD makes. It could be
> set to back of timing at a certain rpm level. This would actually
> allow you to advance the timing a bit and still pull it back to a 'no
> ping' level as the rpm rises.
>
> sean
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

I've wondered about this also. I was flipping through the Jeg's catalog
and saw a unit called the "MSD Timing Computer" or something like
that. It looked like it mounted under the hood and had push buttons and
an LCD display. From what I read you could set it to adjust the timing
they way your are talking about. You can set it to advance or back off
at certain rpm's. My problem is that I don't know squat about ignition
systems, so if anyone knows more about this unit, how it works, and if
it would help releive detonation I'd love to hear from ya...

Also I think someone once said that you could adjust the timing a small
bit by turning the distributor?? And that would help with pinging.
Could someone explain more about this also?

--
-
Michael Clark        mike@snakebite.com