Re: Signatures/E-mail address???

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 17:33:36 EST

> Geez, guys I don't want to be a jerk, but for us less fortunate list
> readers (read older mail gateway software), all the posts come in with a
> return address of "null" (null@ait.fredonia.edu) anyone else getting this
> return address??, so I never know who's posting unless you put a
> signature line...

  That's very VERY odd. All RFC compliant mailers (including all
the old stuff) should have the ability to display the From: line
that is a part of all messages. As a matter of fact, when I set my
mailer to show the entire header, I see that your message is clearly
tagged:

>From: Ned Vogler <NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org>

indicating that Jon's listserv software is passing the From: line
on to the list.

  Since you're Network Administrator at rghosp.chime.org, you should
know if some internal routing servers are stripping your headers
before you receive them, or if your mailer software is set to not
display the headers.

> it would be good netiquette if y'all could use a signature
> line which includes an E-mail address.

  It's also good netiquette to limit signatures to 4 lines (hint
hint ;)

  I'm not in the habit of using signatures any more (I do a lot of
correspondence with people who pay per byte), but when I remember.
I'll add one to my Dakota submissions. That way you'll know the
wiseass...

  Ron

--
     Ron Rader  rlr@bbt.com
The vast percentage of sensitive, artistic intellectuals live in