Re: Back to the gas question...

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 18:20:26 EST

Maybe the 3.9's are enuf different, but my '92's never pinged with the
stock SBEC and doesn't with the MP unit. Ran 87 octane with the stocker
and 92 with the MP. Other than the MP SBEC, MDS HeliCore plug wires,
Autolite platinum plugs gapped 0.035, and a K&N stock replacement air
filter it's stock. When I'm feeling lazy I chug around at 14-1500 rpm and
accelerate smoothly from that speed even in upper gears. Not quick but
smooth : ).

When I was having problems at about 65k miles and had the stock SBEC on it
didn't ping with 87 octane. With oxygenated gas in winter the mileage
went all to the devil with the stock SBEC. With the MP and 92 octane
oxygenated there was no great mileage reduction in the winter. Also get
better mileage overall with the MP : ).

Larry