Re: Ignition Upgrades -Reply

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 23:53:48 EST

>>> <Kukukooter@aol.com> 2/20/97, 11:44pm >>>
In a message dated 97-02-20 07:54:38 EST, mike@snakebite.com (Michael
Clark)
writes:

<< Also I think someone once said that you could adjust the timing a
>small
> bit by turning the distributor?? >>
>Absolutely not, the computer will put your timing right back to
>where it was
>by way of the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. DRB is the
>only way to do so
>Kuk

Umm. . .
Kuk, then how come when I messed with the distributor and twisted it
around a little bit that I could make it quit pinging (and it was
pinging BAD, too)? Seriously, it worked on mine (93 V8). True, the
computer controls the timing at idle, and it will keep the truck
idling smooth, BUT, I found out that if you've turned the dist. too
much, it will fall flat on it's face past 1,000 rpms. So, the
computer couldn't have been controlling it then. I mean it was
missing BAD, too, when I turned the dist. too much. Like I said,
though, it was fine at idle no matter how much I turned it.
According to the timing light (at idle) I never moved it, though.

- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd
s0042745@cedarville.edu