Ignition Upgrades -Reply

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 20:36:02 EST

>>> Ned Vogler <NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org> 2/19/97, 02:32pm >>>

>Okay, back to your original question. . . I wouldn't use the stock
>coil with the MSD. Number one, because of the wiring problems. You
>have to take the signal from the computer (which feeds into the
>coil), run it to the MSD, then run the wires from the MSD back to
the
>coil. . .but the problem is that the connector for the stock coil
>isn't just 2 wires held onto posts with screws like a Blaster coil
or
>an Accel Supercoil. Also, you'd probably fry the stock coil with
the

>What kind of performance gains can I expect from just changing the
>coil
>(to a MSD), adding a brass cap & rotor, Magnecor wires, and Autolite

>Platinum plugs?? (jules, you listening?)

>MSD if you ever did get it to work. It makes a hotter spark as well
>as multiple sparks per cycle. (Stock you get one spark when the
>piston comes up. . .with an MSD you get multiple sparks so it burns
>more of the gas for better combustion. . .more POWER) I would
>definitely go to a high-output coil if you decided to get an MSD or

>This other MSD part is replacing the stock ignition? Is that the
>correct
>terminology?? I thought I was going to help things by buying the
>parts
>listed above, but would I need to actually change the stock ignition
>as
>wel?? Am I making sense here??

>Crane. You'll sink probably $200 into your ignition system if you
>decide to do it, though. You'll need a new cap and rotor (Accel
>FINALLY came out with a cap with brass posts) because the stock pot
>metal things get fried in about 5 months with the high-output
>ignition. Also, you'll probably want some better wires than stock
>because you'll want to take advantage of the new juice. If you do

The ignition parts that I've ordered so far are close to $200.00 with

just the coil, cap&rotor, wires and plugs!! What am I missing?

>decide to do all this, write me back and I'll tell ya some things
>about my installation that were a little tricky if you didn't watch
>for them. Hope this info helps.
>- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd

>I'd have replied to you directly, but didn't have your E-mail
>address...
> But who else cares to jump in here, and give me a basic lesson on

>ignition upgrades, etc.??

>Ciao!

> Ned Vogler |
----------------------------
         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _
_
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_|
|_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\
,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R |
----------------------------

Sorry about not giving the address. It's s0042745@cedarville.edu
(student identification e-mail thing. . .). Okay, here's how my
parts and prices laid out. . . $40 for Accel Supercoil out of the
Summit catalog, $120 for the MSD 6A ignition module, $14 for the
Accel cap, $5 (I think) for the Accel Rotor, AC Delco Rapidfire plugs
for about $40, and the wires I had on the truck before the ignition
upgrade were fine b/c they were better than stock wires anyway. So.
. .that comes to about $219, plus the cost of the wires. As far as a
"replacement" goes of the stock ignition system, basically the only
thing I am using of the stock system is the signal input wires that
go into the top of the stock coil via the little connector. What I
did was get some good, heavy guage (I think I had to use 12),
multi-strand wire (don't get the really thin strand stuff like
speaker wire, just get the automotive multi-strand stuff), figured
out which side was positive and negative of the stock connector
(follow the wiring diagram found in the back of the Dakota manual
(the big, one-inch thick manual, that is), and just pushed the
multi-strand wire into the holes of the stock connector and taped
them up really good so they woouldn't back out. Anyway, after you've
got that, you just have to follow the wiring diagram found in the MSD
instructions and hook the thing up. Oh yeah, you won't use the
"magnetic signal pickup" on the MSD. I wish I could remember how to
hook this whole thing up. (I'm trying to remember off the top of my
head and it's been about 8 months ago).
As far as performance increases by just changing the coil, cap,
rotor, wires, and plugs, I can tell you that I didn't notice too much
when I just had the Accel Supercoil with the Rapidfire plugs, BUT,
when I added the MSD I saw some nice gains in gas mileage (jumped
from 19.5 to 23 on the highway) and I've got a 93 V8, auto, 3.55
rear, with 74,000 miles on it. The MSD unit, or a comparable unit,
is probably going to make the REAL difference in your ignition
system. It helps out power, too. I'm hitting 60 right around
7-flat. I haven't changed anything internally in the motor, either.

By the way, WHAT kind of prices are you paying if that's all your
getting for $200? What are you getting?

- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd
s0042745@cedarville.edu