AIS Motor

From: Stephen Hawtree (stephen@silk.net)
Date: Fri Feb 21 1997 - 16:47:56 EST

Hello fellow Dakota owners!

Chris Smith wrote...

> If that is indeed the sound Jon is hearing, that is the Idle Air Control
> Module. It controls the airflow to the engine as the name suggests.
> There are some known problems with this sticking after some carbon
> build-up, if you are noticing that the behaviour has changed since new.
> Also there was a TSB on a failure with it. On my '93 the idle would
> drop down to 200-300 RPM, and of course, usually die. Replaced the part
> and good as new.

I had the exact same issue with my '92 3.9. I took it in two days ago,
and indeed the dealer told me that the AIS motor (Automatics Idle Speed?) was
gone. They let me know even before running a diagnostic. Apparently it is
a really common problem. They had to R&R the throttle-body as well to
clean up all the carbon that had accumulated. It had been a problem for
about 6 months. The part was about $80 Canadian. It made all the
difference in the world!

        Stephen '92 3.9 Magnum V6 LE 4X4 CC

mailto:Dakota@Silk.Net

Stephen Hawtree, Dipl. C.I.S. Silk Net Media Ltd.
Systems Administrator phone:(250) 860-4202
mailto:Stephen@Silk.Net http://WWW.Silk.Net