Re: Pinging

From: ragnew@islandnet.com
Date: Fri Feb 21 1997 - 22:23:56 EST

At 06:52 PM 2/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
<snip>
>If the continuous sound is indeed the injectors, one reason I haven't
>seen anyone mention might be that the '96 and later models switched to
>an open-loop fuel circuit, whereas the '92 thru '95 model has a fuel
>return and a high pressure fuel ring. It's possible that the opening
>and closing of the injectors causes something akin to a water hammer and
>"ringing" of the hardware. There's more volume in the closed-loop (return)
>system to absorb the shock waves - thus no perceptible sound.
>

>Jim

Jim:

I don't think the sound that Sean and I were discussing (at 2000 rpm plus)
was pinging, for the following reasons:
(1) I never use 87 octane .... always 89. I ran two tanks of 94 octane and
the sound didn't change.
(2) I've had the local dealer's mechanic and my own mechanic (whom I trust)
listen to it, both say
it is not pinging. My mechanic thinks it's exhaust noise.
(3) Noise does not go away with increased rpm or change with load or engine
temperature. ie. same whether engine is just fired up or been run for 50 miles.
(4) Doesn't sound like my old Volare wagon (76) that use to ping with
regular gas or my Sundance which somtimes pings in hot weather under load at
low rpm, ie. climbing steep hill at 35 mph, with auto trans still in
third.

Whether it's exhaust noise or injector clatter, I don't know. I've never
owned a mpi vehicle before. If someone knows for sure, I appreciate hearing.

Thanks for your comments.