Re: Taking my truck in for s

From: Paul Stoehr (pstair@peaka.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 05:04:27 EST

MoparRuss@aol.com wrote:

> speaking of trans fluid...i have thwe AX-15 (i believe) trans (5-speed on a
> 2.5 same as the V-6)...it is a pain in the cold wheather (gear clash and all
> that ) was wondering if anyone took out the gear lube and replaced it with
> anything in it's place with out a problem....any help would be great....Dodge
> says this is normal (the gear clash) but i don't buy it....thanks

I just had the tranny syncros in my '92 Dakota (with the AX-15) replaced
due
to extremely difficult shifting I was experiencing, particularly
noticible in
cold weather. I asked the dealer about using additives or different
viscosity
fluid. He printed off the TSB for me concerning this problem which reads
as
follows: (condensed version)
Models:
1989-1993 Cherokee/Wagoneer
1989-1992 Comanche
1992-1993 Dakota
1993 Grand Cherokee
1990-1993 Wrangler

Some owners may experience higher than normal trans. shift
effort at temperatures below 50 degrees F. The shift effort will
become easier after the vehicle has been driven two or three miles.

This condition is related to the thickening of the SAE 75W-90 (API-
GL5) gear lube required for the AX-15 trans. DO NOT CHANGE THE TRANS.
LUBRICANT TO A LOWER VISCOSITY LUBRICANT OR USE ANY TYPE OF ADDITIVE.

This is typical and is not harmful to the transmission.

This TSB is dated April 16, 1993.
I also asked about using a quality synthetic lube that meets specs, as I
was using synthetic in mine. They told me they do not recommend it.
The syncros made a BIG difference but it still shifts a little hard
in cold weather 'til it warms up...
                                Paul
'92 Dakota '41 Chevrolet Special DeLuxe
3.9 w/5-speed 4-door Sport Sedan