Coolant smell...its actually...

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 1997 - 09:09:54 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:
*snip*
> work I complained of a coolant smell coming from the vents and heat
> ducts and told the service guy it was probably the heater core. When
> I picked up the truck they said they couldn't find anything. The
> smell remained. I took it in again and found that they had only
> looked at hoses for visible leaks. This time they put it on a 10lb.
> pressure test for 45 minutes. No pressure drop. This would indicate
> no leaks. They sprayed a citrus cleaner through the ventilation
> system to help remove the smell. I thought this would be it thinking
> that some residual coolant must have gotton onto the outside of the
> core. Well, the *&#!ing smell is still there!! I'm reading to just
> fix this damn thing myself. Anyone had any problems with warranty
> work in the past. Does sreamin' yer head off in the dealership get
> anything done? I'm ready to go down there and have a fit if that's
> what it takes. If I didn't love the truck so much I'd tell 'em where
> they could stick it. Any suggestions?
>
> sean
> '97 318/5spd/3.55SG/antifreeze air freshener and no ABS
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

        Actually, it's your old socks that you left under the passenger
seat. (I couldn't resist!).. SERIOUSLY, the smell you 'smell' most
likely
comes when you either first turn on the AC, or the defroster (runs off
of
the AC), and not during standard 'vent' or HEATER.

        If this is true, learn to live with it. It's actually a possible
'molding' condition happening on the evaporator for the AC...The only
thing that has 'fixed' this for me is to make a habit of turning off the
defroster/AC about 10 minutes before you park the vehicle for a few
hours
or more, and run outside air (not recirc). This gives the condensor to
'dry out' before you park. Since I started doing this, it doesn't seem
to happen as much (only on humid days).

        Let me know if this is the situation, I'm curious..(I have
a '95).

        Sam '95 SLT