Re: Oil Leak

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Tue Mar 04 1997 - 05:45:55 EST

     Calvin,

     I'd be curious as to what the dealer actually did. Drip or not you
     shouldn't have *any* oil seepage anywhere at 32k. How long has it
     been the the dealer "fixed" it? You can't trust some of these gus as
     far as you can throw 'em. It's entirely possible they just cleaned up
     the leaked oil and left it at that as it could very well be the rear
     main seal (not a small job).

     Demand to have it fixed. I'm going round & round with my dealer on my
     '97 as well. At about 1200 miles I started having ABS malfunctions.
     They determined it was a bad wheel sensor and the master cylinder.
     Thursday will be 5 weeks (truck now has 2300 miles) I've been waiting
     for that damn master cylinder. When I had it in for the initial brake
     work I complained of a coolant smell coming from the vents and heat
     ducts and told the service guy it was probably the heater core. When
     I picked up the truck they said they couldn't find anything. The
     smell remained. I took it in again and found that they had only
     looked at hoses for visible leaks. This time they put it on a 10lb.
     pressure test for 45 minutes. No pressure drop. This would indicate
     no leaks. They sprayed a citrus cleaner through the ventilation
     system to help remove the smell. I thought this would be it thinking
     that some residual coolant must have gotton onto the outside of the
     core. Well, the *&#!ing smell is still there!! I'm reading to just
     fix this damn thing myself. Anyone had any problems with warranty
     work in the past. Does sreamin' yer head off in the dealership get
     anything done? I'm ready to go down there and have a fit if that's
     what it takes. If I didn't love the truck so much I'd tell 'em where
     they could stick it. Any suggestions?

     sean
     '97 318/5spd/3.55SG/antifreeze air freshener and no ABS
     sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

     <snip>
I had a rear engine oil leak, no drips but lower bell housing was wet
with oil. This was repaired by the dealer. It is now seeping again.
The dealer said it is not dripping, so it is not a leak.<snip>

  Does anyone else have any oil seepage? I would like to get this
corrected under warranty.

Calvin
bissonet@illuminet.net