Re[2]: Oil Leak

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Tue Mar 04 1997 - 10:58:39 EST

     Thanks for the comments, Rob. At least you guys are showing some
     interest in my dilemma.....now the dealer on the other hand....

     The smell is exactly the opposite as yours, Rob. It's worst when
     doors and windows are closed and becomes more pronounced as the
     temperature of the coolant rises. At times you can barely smell it
     and at others it just plain gives ya a headache. I leave the
     ventilation in the "off" position as much as possible but until warmer
     weather hits I occasionally need the heat.

     I agree with the "calm" approach to dealing with the dealership but
     you all know how frustrating they can be. Thanks again for all the
     ideas, everyone.

     sean

Sean:

I noticed what I thought was a 'coolant smell' from the heater on my 97 as
well, but only once in a while ... but, one day on startup, my passenger
opened his door to get it and the smell got much worse. What I think is
happening, under the right wind conditions, exhaust gases are getting
sucked into the air intakes and smell kinda like anti-freeze. I'd get a
similar situation from my previous Dodge truck (in the same place ... my
driveway), only it was the smell of propane as it is propane powered.

I only notice this upon startup and it goes away as soon as I start moving
forward. I have noticed the same/similar odour when following other cars up
hills, but never when theres no-one in front of me.

Keep us informed of progress with your dealer. As far as yelling at the
dealer, I believe you can have more success by 'walking quietly and carring
a big stick'. You can always take your complaint to Chrylser.
At least in Canada, the dealers are very concerned about Chrysler's view of
their performance (perceived or real) when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Good luck.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia