Re: Re[2]: Oil Leak

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 1997 - 09:31:16 EST

At 11:58 AM 3/4/97 EDT, you wrote:
> Thanks for the comments, Rob. At least you guys are showing some
> interest in my dilemma.....now the dealer on the other hand....
>
> The smell is exactly the opposite as yours, Rob. It's worst when
> doors and windows are closed and becomes more pronounced as the
> temperature of the coolant rises. At times you can barely smell it
> and at others it just plain gives ya a headache. I leave the
> ventilation in the "off" position as much as possible but until warmer
> weather hits I occasionally need the heat.
>
> I agree with the "calm" approach to dealing with the dealership but
> you all know how frustrating they can be. Thanks again for all the
> ideas, everyone.
>
> sean

_________________________________

Sean:

I agree with you, after reading your second posting indicating the pool of
coolant on the floor. It sounds like you have a real problem. I can't
understand why your dealer would be reluctant to investigate. Try rolling
it by the dealership when the stink is at it's worst and get the service
manager into you truck for a drive. The odour would have to be very
apparent to him at that time.

My old truck (78) used to leak a bit of coolant under the hood (at the
coolant shut off valve) after shut down. I guess the pressure would build
up a bit and force some past a hose clamp. Everything is so much different
for 97, that this suggestion may not apply. Also, if they pressure tested
it, you would think a leak would show.

Why don't you run it buy your local radiator shop for a second opinion? I
talk to my regular mechanic (or as you have done ... this list) before I
take it to the dealer for repairs ... avoids the embarrassment of
complaining about what really is a 'feature'.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada