RE: Coolant Smell

From: Robert F Weingart (rweingart@attmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 05 1997 - 09:53:54 EST

From: mccabet@megsinet.net (Tom McCabe)

To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu

Subject: Re: Coolant smell

> When I had it in for the initial brake

> work I complained of a coolant smell coming from the vents and heat

> ducts and told the service guy it was probably the heater core. When

> I picked up the truck they said they couldn't find anything. The

> smell remained. I took it in again and found that they had only

> looked at hoses for visible leaks. This time they put it on a 10lb.

> pressure test for 45 minutes. No pressure drop. This would indicate

> no leaks.

Tom-

        If the smell is more like mold or stale air, it is most likely a TSB

that Dodge knows about. My sisters '94 had a strange smell coming out of the

vents and it turned out to be a faulty condenser. The TSB has the dealer

spray a special disinfectant into the condenser. This worked at first, but it

came back in about two months. They then changed the condenser and this seems

to have worked. I do not know the TSB number off hand, I will have to look it

up. The dealer should be able to find it for you.

Rob Weingart

'89 LE 4x4, 170K miles and counting...