Re: MSD timing computer

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Sat Mar 08 1997 - 06:06:27 EST

Just got my MSD catolog in the mail last night. The programmable unit actually
does the timing. You have to lock out the timing function in the distributor
(somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). The dash mounted unit pulls 1-15
degrees of timing out of the motor for bad gas, climbing hills, nitrous,
whatever. You're still using the computers timing curves though. The
programmable unit would be for pre-computer controlled vehicles for ease in
adjusting timing functions (no messin with changin' centrifugal springs and
such). They've also got a non-adjustable unit that you set your full mech.
timing where you want it and the unit pulls 20 degrees for starting and starts
it's advance at 1000 rpms and brings it all in by 3000. Again, for pre-computer
control.

Sean

     <snip>
Does anyone know what the difference is in the programmable unit and the
manual ones with the dash mounted control knob? I thought they both worked
the same way, just one automatically adjusted according to how you
programmed it, and the other adjusted according to how you set the control
knob. From what this guy said, they must be two different beasts. Any
ideas . . .

--
-
Michael Clark          mike@snakebite.com