Re: 94 Dakota, Didn't start

From: Tom McCabe (mccabet@megsinet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 17 1997 - 14:20:07 EST

Steve Wade wrote:

> It turned over fine, (till the battery did finally die). It has been
> taking a little longer to start

Try Cycling the ignition switch between RUN and OFF 3 times quickly.
Watch the check engine light.. it should come on for about 2 seconds
then go out. after it goes out, count the blinks paying attention to
the delay between them. A medium delay is a break between digits, a
long break is between error codes. Turn key OFF after checking. Repeat
the process twice, you should get the same codes. The only problem is
that the codes may have been erased if you killed the battery. However,
if you have a bad crank sensor or distributer pickup, it should store a
code during cranking.

You will most likely get a code 12, for loss of battery voltage if you
ran the battery down. You will get a code 55 at the end which is the
end of codes marker. You will be concerned about any other codes that
show up.

Comments and criticism welcome! I am no expert.

Good Luck!

Tom McCabe

I have the two of the most expensive hobbies - Fast Cars, and Computers!
Amateur Mechanic for 15 Yr on Mopars.
'96 Dakota Ext. Cab SLT, 2wd, 5.2L, Auto, SureGrip
'89 Lebaron GTC, 2.2L Turbo II Intercooled, MP SBEC, 5Spd