Dakota Differential Noise

From: CONREP2@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 17 1997 - 13:01:21 EST

I have a 97 Dakota SLT with a noise in the differential. This high pitch
whine is only present at 48 to 53 MPH. The truck is two wheel drive and was
purchased in Sept 96 it now has over 11,000 miles.

The dealer has called Chrysler. Chrysler reports that this is a common noise
present with all standard rear end units. They also though that my bed liner
and cover amplify the noise.

The dealer is willing to replace the unit at 20,000 miles, But they do not
belive it will be any different. They are hoping that the additional miles
will improve the situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray Gaulin
conrep2@aol.com