Re: Dakota Differential Noise

From: Tom McCabe (mccabet@megsinet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 17 1997 - 17:00:32 EST

CONREP2@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 97 Dakota SLT with a noise in the differential. This high pitch
> whine is only present at 48 to 53 MPH. The truck is two wheel drive and was
> purchased in Sept 96 it now has over 11,000 miles.
>
> The dealer has called Chrysler. Chrysler reports that this is a common noise
> present with all standard rear end units. They also though that my bed liner
> and cover amplify the noise.
>
> The dealer is willing to replace the unit at 20,000 miles, But they do not
> belive it will be any different. They are hoping that the additional miles
> will improve the situation.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ray Gaulin
> conrep2@aol.com

Ray,
It sounds like the ring and pinion gear lash is set incorrectly. If is
present in all rear drive units, then it is present in front drives
also. The whine would be more noticable in a car than a truck. If you
can hear it in a truck, then something is wrong. I would have them
check the gear lash adjustment and the wear marks on the gears. There
should be even wear in the center of the gear teeth.

You didn't say, but is the whine more noticable when maintaining 48-53,
or when you let off the gas?

Good Luck!

Tom McCabe
'96 Dakota Ext. Cab SLT, 5.2L, Auto, 2wd 3.55 SureGrip
'89 Lebaron GTC, 2.2L Turbo II Intercooled, 5 Spd, MP SBEC