Re: Low resale value on '96 model?!?

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Mon Mar 17 1997 - 23:01:34 EST

rdab@snet.net wrote:

> Paul Caskey wrote:
> >
> > My Dakota is a fully loaded 4x4 SLT V8 ext.cab, and is exactly one year
> > old. I paid $25,000 for it new, including tax, title, license, extended
> > warrantee, etc., etc, and thought I got a pretty good deal. (The MSRP
> > total with all the extras was about $28,000 if I recall.)
> >
> > Now I look up its value, and both Edmund's and the NADA book show it
> > being worth around $15,000. That's a 40% loss in one year!!! I was
> > considering upgrading my Dakota to a bigger Dodge truck, for larger
> > towing purposes. But I can't afford to lose $10,000! I still owe $20k
> > on the loan!

Are you sure about this? 25K sounds like too much for even a 4X4. I paid
$100 over invoice for my loaded v8 2wd(95) ($14,173). There is no reason
to ever pay more than 100-300 dollars over invoice for a new vehicle. I
had a dealer in OK that was willing to sell me an extended cab full size
for $300 over. I just waited a couple of months for the my local dealer
to get hungry in January and they caved in to my demands. If yours
won't, find another! Good luck.

Andre Mauboussin
95 V8/5spd 14.80s@92mph