Re: Low resale value on '96 model?!?

From: rdab@snet.net
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 00:42:59 EST

Paul Caskey wrote:

> My Dakota is a fully loaded 4x4 SLT V8 ext.cab, and is exactly one year
> old. I paid $25,000 for it new, including tax, title, license, extended
> warrantee, etc., etc, and thought I got a pretty good deal. (The MSRP
> total with all the extras was about $28,000 if I recall.)
>
> Now I look up its value, and both Edmund's and the NADA book show it
> being worth around $15,000. That's a 40% loss in one year!!! I was
> considering upgrading my Dakota to a bigger Dodge truck, for larger
> towing purposes. But I can't afford to lose $10,000! I still owe $20k
> on the loan!
>
> This is a major bummer. I was considering upgrading to a bigger Dodge
> truck for greater towing capacity, but now I'll just have to make due
> with what I have. Is the '97 Dakota just so popular that there's no
> market at all for '94-'96?
>
> (Sorry if this is a FAQ ... I tried looking through the archive but it's
> too hard to search ...)
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------> Paul Caskey mailto:pcaskey@swcp.com http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------> "Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like
> it to keep in touch." --Robert Orben

Sorry to hear about the depreciation, but this is why I don't buy new
vehicles any more. My last new one was my Dak in '87 ($12K well equipped
4x4). I like my truck, but I can't imagine paying double for another
one.

Back in the late 80's the average profit on a new vehicke was about 8%.
I think I read recently that these days it's up to around 15%. That's
good for the CC stockholders, bad for you and me.

Only my opinion, but I think that if the automotive consumers would only
vote with their checkbooks and refuse to pay these inflated prices, then
mabey the finer things in life (like new Dodge trucks) would get back
within reach of Joe Consumer and me. Now about leasing,..........
OOOOOOOOHHHHHH....don't get me started!

Sorry for the rant,
I feel much better now. :)

Rich