re: General question - who pays warrantee work?

From: Brett Stoner (brett@abacusinfo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 15:05:00 EST

>I've been wondering, when I bring a vehicle to a dealer
>for warrantee work, they bill the manufacturer, don't they?
>
>I've often heard that if you bring a car/truck to a dealer
>for warantee work, but you did not buy the car there, it is
>harder to get the work done (right). Why is that, if the
>car maker reimburses the dealer?

I work for as a computer consultant and I also do a lot of repairs. We're
authorized to do warantee repairs on a number of major brand computers and
the manufacturer does reimburse us for the parts and labor, however, the
price they pay for labor is 50-75% of what we would get doing non-warantee
work. I would imagine it's a similar situation for auto dealers. Because
of that they would be less inclinced to schedule a warantee repair when
they can schedule a non-warantee one and make more money (unless, of
course, you bought the truck there in which case they're expected to do
timely warantee work) I'd also guess that this is why warantee repair
quality varies so much from dealer to dealer - they probably would put
their lowest paid (read least experienced and trained) technician on
warantee stuff.

>I ask, because I ordered my Dak from a fleet buyer (to
>save $$ of course). Should it need warrantee work, is
>the local Dodge dealer going to put me at the bottom
>of the list?

I'm sure this varies from dealer to dealer, if there are several in your
area I'd imagine you could find at least one that would be kind enough to
do service on trucks that weren't bought there. If there is a dealer tag
on your truck you might want to remove it, however. You Don want to point
out the fact that you didn't get the truck there (Besides, the truck looks
better without it) Also, you might want to imply that you reciently moved
from out of town and you can't get to the dealer you bought the truck from.
 You could also let them know that you plan to bring your truck there for
all the work it needs so they will hope that you'll continue bringing it
there when it's out of warantee.

Good luck
  Brett