RE: Brake rotor problems

From: Paul Caskey (pcaskey@swcp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 15:58:16 EST

I've also had the "pulsing" brake problem. It got worse and worse until
I had the truck in for other work and they turned the rotors and drums.
This was at about 20k miles, but it probably should have been done at
16k. I didn't know if this was abnormal, or not, because I've done some
fairly heavy-duty towing, and thought maybe that was the cause.

Now, thanks to this list, I know it's a common Dakota problem, so I'll
treat it differently next time around. The dealer charged me over $200,
which is high, but as I said, it was in for other work (auto tranny
problem [blown seal] covered under warranty), so I let them ream me.
Next time I'll twist their arm a bit by saying I know this is a common
Dakota problem. May not help, but what the heck.

One thing I know is that it helps to take it easy on the brakes for the
first 100 miles or so after a brake job, and unfortunately, I had a
panic stop situation about 2 miles away from the dealer. :-( And the
pulsing has already returned, slightly.

This is on a loaded '96 4x4 318.

Paul Caskey mailto:pcaskey@swcp.com http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey
             "earth" is not yet a domain name. -- RFC 1178