RE: '97 Gear Whine

From: Robert F Weingart (rweingart@attmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 1997 - 10:49:36 EST

I am not too sure about '97, but if they use the same gear set as '94, then I
know the problem. Both my father's and my local parts manager's '94 Dak w/
3.55 Sure Grip make that exact noise at 55 mph. You can really hear it in my
fathers due to his cap acting like a resonator. Dana makes the Sure Grip
differential for Chrysler and they admitted that a run of units had this
problem. They said that they would change the gears, but would not guarantee
that it would show up on the replacement. Apparently there is no durability
problem, just a little gear noise. My Dad's Dakota has about 40K on it with
no signs problems, but the noise has toned down a bit.

Rob Weingart '89 Dak LE 4x4