Re: MSD stuff.... -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

From: Scott Lemser (SLEMSER@Compucom)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 16:43:13 EST

>>> slemser@compucom.com (Scott Lemser) 03/27/97 01:52pm >>>
JIM WRITES:

>>> JT McBride <James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM> 03/27/97 01:24pm
Are the MSD Heli-Core notably better than Accell's new heat-resistant
wires? jt.

I am not familiar with the Accell wire. However, if it uses the standard
carbon core without any supplemental conductor, It cant possibly
support as high a voltage as a "spiral core" or solid (copper) core wire.
The spiral cores are second only to a solid core wire in capacity and
resistance. scott

I think the MSD use monel metal, vs. stainless steel on the Accell. Neither
are very good conductors, but monel metal doesn't change dimension
much
due to temperature (if that matters in a loose mounted wire).

The Accell have a metalized finish on the plug boot that's supposed to
keep the temperature under better control. jt

Anyone running a naturally aspirated engine that can melt an ignition wire
that is not directly contacting a heat source HAS BIG, BIG PROBLEMS.
While not wishing to bad mouth anyone, Accell has long tried to convince
the public that fatter is better. The truth is that their 8.8 mm wires provide
NO performance gain over an 8.0 mm wire. scott

How about fit to the application? Accell has a part no (9023) specifically
for the Magnum engines. Does Mallory or MSD include wire stays? jt

Although I prefer Mallory, I am currently running MSD. (They gave me a
better deal with the system.) These are a perfectly tailored set. Mallory
p/n 938 fits the 5.2 and 5.9.. scott

Jim

.com'ing on topic