Re: Towing

From: Slow@primenet.com
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 11:50:43 EST

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:55:38, you wrote:

>> I did purchase the Trailer Towing Package option when we got the
>>Dakota, and this included the factory-installed trailer light
>>harness. Not having the wiring diagram handy, do you think the
>>factory-installed harness isolates the trailer electrics from the
>>computer power circuit? Or do I have another project to deal with?
>>
>> Ron "Worrywart" Rader
>>

>Ron:
>

>Maybe one of the electrical wizards on the list can tell us what the relays
>actually do. On Shadetree Mechanic a month or so ago, they used the $20
>connector... but on a full size Chev.

Not a wizard but here's mine two cents...

        A relay is used to provide power at a "standard" rate without
the normal loss in voltage due traveling through the wires...

        As far as Ron was asking, the relays are in the "power center"
under the hood and should not be "connected" to the computer. I think
that someone had the idea that a relay is a fuse, it is not. However,
if you screw it up really bad you could affect the computer through a
electrical spike like when jump starting your truck incorrectly....