Re: '97 K&N filters

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 23:11:06 EST

Got my 2.25x10" K&N (PN E 1080) today and found out that the post about
Edelbrock's and K&N's 10 inches not being the same is true. Got the 10"
K&N into the Edelbrock 10" filter base and top. Just sort of squeeze and
push gently but firmly into the base, stick the top on the same way,
tighten down the nut and gently squeeze the whole works together until
it's sealed and the nut is tight. No point even having an air cleaner if
you've got air leaks.

The Edelbrock didn't have a gasket for the filter base, so I cut one out
of some 1/16" gasket material and glued it to the bottom of the mounting
flange with Permatex Blue Ultra Gasket.

Only have a couple miles on the K&N so don't have anything firm, but it
sure does sound serious when the loud pedal goes to the floor. May give
Will's ram air idea a try. The Auto Xray gives an intake charge temp, you
can watch the temp drop when it's opened up and rise at steady throttle or
idle, so any cool air delivery setup could be checked with it. Without an
airbox ram air is not. May have to build an airbox now, this could turn
into a real project.

Larry