mileage-weight-speed

From: Stephen Pchajek (swpc@gwl.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 18:07:55 EST

After reading here about other's Dakota mileage figures, I was quite
dissappointed in my Dakota's mileage. On last weeks ski trip from Winnipeg
to Banff (over 1000 miles) I was travelling at 110 kph or 120 kph (70 - 75
mph) and got around 18 mpg. [This was the big Canadian gallon (4.55 litres
vs 3.78 liters in a U.S. gallon) so about 15 mpg U.S.] I did have quite a
headwind for much of the trip so I wasn't surprised that coming home
mileage picked up to around 20 mpg Canadian. It's also kinda downhill. When
I pulled into a highway truck weigh scale late one night I found that my
Dakota weighed 2,400 kg ( * 2.2 = 5,280 lbs) with 1/4 tank of gas. Once I
get rolling, would hauling that much gear make much of a difference to
mileage? It certainly increases start and stop times and causes more
frequent downshifting on hills. What do you think? For my truck's weight,
speed, ... does this mileage seem about right. Highway mileage was a little
better when the truck was new but that was before the cap and 31 x 10.5's.
I burn regular fuel, use Mobil 1 and have no engine mods.
Stephen W. Pchajek (Steve)
1993 Dodge Dakota Sport
black, clubcab, V8, AT, 4x4, 3.90, ABS
bedliner, hitch, cap, Command-Start & Alarm, 31x10.5
117,000 km. - original brakes (why stop?)