Re: Track / rocker results

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 11:59:13 EDT

*snip*

> it breaths. As for headers, I not sure, I keep hearing conflicting sides
on
> this issue. Some say the stock manifolds work great and that very little
if
> any gains are to be had with headers. Still others say it definatley
gave
> them more torque. At $500 this is a tough one.

*snip*

> Thanks for the input
>
> Alan...

        Alan, I too was weighing the $500 question (DT or not DT)...I went with
it because a friend of mine with a F250 got a big jump in torque...

        My experiences with my mods are pretty conviencing. Added the K&N,
added the computer= Got GREAT acceleration, but lost a LITTLE low end, and
it
pulled great in high end (but got the pinging problem). Added the 3" CAT
back
exhaust= LOUD!, Pulled even better in mid to high RPM, but lost a bit more
torque in the low/mid range, plus towing performance
was affected. 10 months later, I added the DT headers... First 3 gears on
the road
I noticed something had changed, but I couldn't put my finger on it. First
thing
was that the exhaust note was a little louder, but a lot more 'TUNED', and
throat-
E-er...(Wav files at 11:00pm :) Second thing I noticed was that I was
pulling
harder in each gear, while only reving to 2200-2400 rpm (driving mellow, to
not
burn up the gaskets).

        After the 30 minute drive home, I finally opened it up for the last 5
miles...
It pulled in 4th to redline without PINGING!, plus when I went to 5th gear
it not
only held the speed (which before it would drop off, and not pull 5th at
high rpm)
it was accelerating up a hill!

        All of the low end/mid range torque I lost (by the seat of the pants with
the 'LOST') with the exhaust/computer, I gained plus more with the headers.
It was well worth it to me...To prove the JOB it does, in 3 weeks I am
pulling
my friend's 4000# jet boat to the river (Colorado River) with my truck, and
I'm
leaving the MP SBEC in... The truck runs cooler now with the headers,
roughly
1/5th from 'C' vs. 1/4... Plus it was easy to do (about 5 hrs. work). I
can get them
for less than $500 (*I paid $475 (OTD)+ $7.50 shipping to SD).... So I'll
get the
name/number from where I got them, and post it later...

        ..Sam '95 SLT
        "Having you beaten a ford, lately?---YES!!"