Re: Track / rocker results

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 14:12:20 EDT

     Hey Alan.

     You mentioned that the truck is able to rev higher with the new
     rockers. I'm no expert but I believe the rockers should have very
     little effect on the 'duration' part of the cam. That would mean that
     the power band shouldn't shift much but simply become a bit more
     'peaky' with the additional lift. Did you try running with the same
     shift points as before? Just an idea.

     Sam may also have a valid point about the headers bringing back some
     lost low end power. With all the extra lift and the extra airflow
     that comes with it you need to be able to move that air out the other
     end. You could be at a point now that the stock exhaust manifolds
     have reached their limits. A switch to even a good shorty tubular
     header and 2 1/4" downpipes might wake up a sleeping beast. The K&N
     would really help here as well. I was amazed at the difference my
     FIPK clone made on my '97.

     I'm following your results with the rockers pretty closely. With my
     OBDII this may be the only available route for me in the cam
     department and I'm really interested in the improvements you get. I
     was suprised that your trap speed didn't increase. I could see the ET
     not improving or even slipping but the trap speed should increase.
     Look at Kuk's 15.3's at 99 and Jerry's 13.2's at 99. Both show plenty
     of horsepower but Kuk's just overpowers the current chassis/tire
     setup. I see on his profile that a snubber and slicks are planned ;).

     You haven't mentioned what gears you're currently running. That may
     be a better bang for the buck for a seat of the pants improvement at
     this point depending on what your current ratio is.

     Just wanted to throw out a couple of ideas.

     Sean
     '97 318/5spd/3.55SG/Edelbrock-K&N FIPK clone
     MSD 6A ignition awaiting install
     sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Well I tested out my new Crower 1.7 rocker arms Saturday night. I am sad to
say that they did not deliver. The truck pulls further into the red than
before but not hard enough to make up for all the torque I have lost down
low. My best time Saturday was a 14.918 @ 90.70 mph. My best time before
the rockers was 14.873 @ 91.6 mph. Needless to say I am very disapointed, I
know a couple of f-body guys that changed their rockers and droped 2-3
tenths off there 1/4 mile time.
Jules recomends intalling the taller gears, I am just afraid that will kill
my gas mileage. Hell it already cost me $200 a month in gas for this beast.
I'm kinda torn here, I don't know if I should go ahead with the gear change
and take my chances or just get the heads done, and see what happens. I
don't mind spending money on mods when they work, but it sure is hard to
swallow when you drop 400 bucks and nothing happens. Oh well, its only
money, Right?

Alan...

94',SLT,V8,5spd,MP SBEC,Flowmaster,SureGrip,MSD,Pulley's,Taylor
wires,Lakewood traction bars,Crower Roller Rockers.

Best run = 14.8 @ 91.6