Re: Track / rocker results

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 10:43:10 EDT

>Alan, I don't know what you've got on your truck, all I've got to work
>with is you .sig. It looks like you're not running headers. I'm no kind
>of an expert, but maybe with a set of headers your engine will be able to
>really put the 1.7 rocker arms to good use. Also, with all that air
>flowing in there, could it be possible that the fuel injectors are not
>squirting out enough fuel? Other than that, I've seen really big exhaust
>systems 3" by Gibson, that claim big torque gains. Maybe the size of your
>current exhaust system is now too small? I also don't see a K&N air
>filter in your .sig. I don't really know how much they help, but I know
>they advertise up to an additional 15 hp and their cheap (relativly).
>Also, maybe the added airflow will help out your engine. If you're
>running true dual exhausts, I've heard that if you connect them before the
>cats (I think) it will help out a little bit too.
>
>Anyway, I'm just shooting out some ideas. I know they've helped out the
>cars that they were applied to in HotRod magazine.
>
>Hope this helps-
>
>Jeff
>'97 Sport CC, 3.55, auto

Jeff

I am going to Dyno my truck on the 26th, I am going to try a K&N then to see
if it helps. Right now I use a filter from an S-10. Its taller and thiner
than the Dakota's and seems to breath alot better, especially since it
raises the lid off the air cleaner box. But I will find out just how well
it breaths. As for headers, I not sure, I keep hearing conflicting sides on
this issue. Some say the stock manifolds work great and that very little if
any gains are to be had with headers. Still others say it definatley gave
them more torque. At $500 this is a tough one.
You may have something on the injector side. I have often wondered how us
Dak guys can change up fuel preasure since the regulator is part of the
module on the tank?

Hell I guess I could just say screw it all and stick a Vortech on the damn
thing. Then again I could have my head examined...

Thanks for the input

Alan...