Re: 97 wind whistle [new info]

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Mon Apr 07 1997 - 22:47:08 EDT

Well guys, it's not the antenna. I think you're really on to something here
Mr. Morris. I just got back from a short road/test trip (I just love having
a reason to go drive my dak--I volunteer to take my roommate where ever he
needs to go now). Well, first I drove down a 5 mile stretch at 45 and then
drove about 5 miles at a moderate interstate speed of 60. During this first
leg the antenna was on and I played with the air flow direction switch. The
whistle seemed to be subtle when the switch was in the 'off' or 'max A/C'
positions, however, when turned past the 'max A/C' position, the whistle
became louder and higher in pitch. I then got off the interstate and
removed the antenna. Again I drove the same stretches of road. And once
again the whistle was present and it was louder when the air flow mode
switch was turned past the 'max A/C' position. It did not seem to be
effected by the temp. switch. I also noted that the whistle appears and
disappears right at 35 mph. I'm not sure why, but I think that Mr. Morris
has really narrowed down the possibilities. I do know that, at least on my
dak, the antenna is not the culprit.

               Andy Callahan
      quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net
  '97, V8, CC, Sport, 3.55, 5-speed, 4x2