FW: Mopar Magnum valve covers...

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 11:32:00 EDT

Hi folks-

Sean Wrote: <SNIP>

You wrote:
>Save yourself the headache. Don't glue the gaskets to the heads. You
>should Glue them to the Valve Covers instead.

Fill me in a little here... you're talking about using silicone to "glue"
the gaskets to the valve covers? Does the kit call for this silicone
application?? Have others on here (Jules, Kuk) done this before and how
much of a tendency do they have for leaking?? With or without silicone
or?? I don't have my FSM handy, how much do you torque the valve cover
bolts down??

>*ALSO*
>Valve Covers require very little torque to do their job. By using Load
>Spreaders (available in chrome at nearly every parts store) and
>tightening them by hand, (I use a 1/4 drive T-Handle) you should get a
>great seal and no leaks.

According to some folks I've talked to, the Mopar Magnum valve covers are
aluminum, and therefore wouldn't need load spreaders... they said load
spreaders are designed more for the chromed steel valve covers, etc.
 Thoughts, comments, please?

P.S. Oh BTW, yes, I ordered my set of Mopar Magnum valve covers from
Jeg's yesterday. $104.99

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!