Re: You guys and your `97s! ;)

From: rdab@snet.net
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 23:40:16 EDT

Brian Cleary wrote:

> Here Here!! I'm feeling left out too. I have an 89 Sport and still get
> comments on what great shape it is in. Some people even ask if it is new!
> Nice black paint is still in great shape. One or two minor dings. Runs
> smooth and fairly quiet still. 275,000 and proud of it. My wife has given
> me permission to buy a 2000 Dak which, if I'm tired of my 89, I just might
> do. I think these older Daks are the real testament to Chrysler. After
> all, how many 87-89 Fords, Chives or Toyotas do you see on the road that
> are rust free and run-in' fine!
>
> Brian Cleary
> bcleary@interlog.com
>
> ----------
> > From: Justin Bouillet <justin@proxy-sys.com>
> > To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> > Subject: You guys and your `97s! ;)
> > Date: April 10, 1997 12:11 PM
> >
> > I'm going to gloat a little about my `87 Dak.
> >
> > It's a stock truck. LE, 3.9 v6, 3.55 rear, auto, long box. The only
> > mods I have done are adding the Bosch Platinums, and the Accel Super
> > Coil. It looks pretty sharp for being 10 years old with the exception
> > of the small amount of cancerous rust on my front fender and the hip
> > check dent on the passenger door that came with the truck (bought it
> > used).
> >
> > Anyways, I just purchased my first house and I was moving all my
> > furniture using my truck and a 9 foot trailer. When both the truck and
> > trailer were packed for a load, my dad and my friends were giving me a
> > hard time about how my truck was going to have troubles pulling all that
> > weight. Well, I showed them!
> >
> > It did ok on the hills and pulled that trailer like it wasn't even there
> > (except when braking). My next experiment is pulling the camper
> > trailer. I thought about getting a flat-bed and pulling my mint `79
> > Magnum around on it, but, I think that might be pushing it a little.
> >
> > I've been thinking about running dual exhaust, modifying the air cleaner
> > and putting on dual snorkels, and getting a K&N filter. I also heard
> > that there was an aftermarket 4bbl manifold available. That would me
> > most cool (insert grunting here).
> >
> > Well, that's my gloat. I hope this encourages those of you with the
> > slightly underpowerd first generation Dakotas to speak up and talk about
> > your achievements with your truck.
> >

> > Ciao!
> >
> > --
> > Justin Bouillet justin@proxy-sys.com
> > Proxy Systems Ltd. www.proxy-sys.com

Count me in on this one! It's great to see some conversation going on regarding
*vintage* Dakotas, after all didn't we get all of this started?

I bought my wife a Dodge Lancer in '86, and saw my first Dakota at the dealer when we
picked up the new car. I pretty much knew that I'd buy one as soon as the 4x4's became
available.

Mine has been a daily driver for most of its years, as well as a work truck for my owner
built house. It's hauled mega cords of firewood. (You should see it stacked even with
the top of the cab!)

I'm the chief of a rural fire/rescue department, and this vehicle is routinely used as a
wildland rescue vehicle in areas where the bigger trucks can't get into, and the
S10/ranger/toy trucks can't handle.

Mine is pretty much stock as well, except for a body lift, 10.50's on 15x7 AR rims and
full length running boards to hide the frame rails because of the lift. I think that
we're forced to stay with stock running gear because there is little performance stuff
available for these trucks. (My only complaint through the years.)

Mine still looks great; the paint is like new even though it lives outside in the woods.
(The wife's car gets the garage. Typical huh?) Sorry to hear about the paint problems
on the newer Daks. Wonder where CC went wrong?

Sorry for rambling on & on. Let's hear from some more pre '90 owners.

Rich
87 4x4 SE LB 3.9 Auto 118K and counting.