Re: 1997s .. Wheel Alignment

From: Brett Stoner (brett@abacusinfo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 10:33:00 EDT

>Well guys, after all our talk several weeks ago about factory wheel
>alignment on 1997's, my front tires have finally started to show signs of
>unusual wear (5,000 km). Alignment was not checked by the dealer during
>PDI nor at the 4 month service.
>
>Truck still drives straight, doesn't pull or wander. My advice ... insist
>that your dealer check the wheel alignment as soon as possible.
>
>It's getting a wheel alignment tommorrow under warranty, but I have to pay
>the dealer to rotate the tire ...
>$15., how petty can you get?
>
>Cheers.
>

>Rob Agnew
>ragnew@islandnet.com
>
>Victoria, British Columbia
>Canada

I ran into almost the same thing. I picked up my 97 Dakota a little more
than a month ago and apparently the dealer didn't align it before delivery.
 I didn't notice any pull during normal driving, but when it was in for an
oil change at 3000mi the dealer said the tires were wearing funny and it
needed to be aligned. (They are going to do it under warranty, but I still
have to make time to leave it there for a little while:/

Hopefully this will improve the gas mileage a bit (right now the trip
computer says I'm getting about 17.6MPG, but I know people have been saying
the trip computer has been off by as much as 2MPG. I noted the mileage
when I last filled the tank and I'm down to about a quarter of a tank now
so I'll see how accurate it is when I fill it next) I think the engine is
still doing the break in thing and mileage may go up a bit anyway as the
first tank of gas showed about 14MPG and it's been going up by about .5MPG
each tank.

Brett